It's going to be a busy and exciting legislative session! Lots of important legislation will be introduced and voted on, so here's a way to get in on the action, and make your voice heard, including the chance to meet online with your state representatives and senators.
Attend Democracy Lobby Week, jointly sponsored by the League of Women Voters of Washington and Fix Democracy First. This event will be held online February 6-10, 2023. Sessions include hearing about current legislation, learning from democracy experts, getting lobbying tips on how to talk to your legislators, and opportunities to speak with your own legislators.
Monday ACT Program, 10-11 a.m.
How a Bill Becomes a Law
Monday Evening Opening Program, 5-8:30 p.m.
- 5 PM: Welcome from League of Women Voters of WA and Fix Democracy First
- 5:10 PM: Bill Info & Talking Points Review
- Democracy: Elections, Voting & Money in Politics
- Social & Economic Policy: Health Care, Housing/Homelessness & Transportation
- Environmental: Climate, Energy, Growth, Forests, Waters & Solid Waste
- 6:50 PM: Washington Legislature Leaders Panel
- 7:35 PM: Democracy Lobby Week Program Preview
- 7:45 PM: How to Lobby Your Legislators
- 8 PM: Q&A
Tuesday Evening Program, 5-7:30 p.m.
Two Crises: Climate Change and Housing
Wednesday Evening Program, 5-8 p.m.
- 5 PM: People Powered Elections: Expanding Democracy Vouchers Statewide
- 6:30 PM: Multi-member Districts: Using Proportional Ranked Choice Voting for Better Representation
Thursday Evening Program, 5-8 p.m.
- 5 PM: Be Bold: Creating a People-Focused Redistricting Commission
- 6:30 PM: Different Roles & Models in Healthcare: Reducing Gaps & Improving Health Outcomes
Friday Celebration and Closing Program, 6-7 p.m.
Schedule subject to change.
Our goal is to facilitate your participation in our Washington State government, and to give you the tools you need to work effectively with your legislators.
Registration Fee: $5 per attendee
How will virtual legislative meetings work?
During Lobby Week, members will have the opportunity to meet with their legislators to discuss upcoming legislation. Meetings with legislators will be scheduled by a local Legislative District Meeting Coordinator based on legislative districts. Most meetings with legislators will be during the day on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, although some meetings may be scheduled at other times. Legislative District Meeting Coordinators will provide Zoom links and other information as needed.
How much does it cost to attend?
The registration fee is $5 per person. All proceeds from these fees and any additional donations will go to defray the costs of this event. Any surplus fees and donations will be split equally between the League of Women Voters of Washington and Fix Democracy First to support our important advocacy work.